BB writes in via ‘Ask on Facebook‘ – You mention “clients, COLLEAGUES and community” – and the way I read your website, it’s like they’re all segments of a larger group. I’m a solo practitioner – I have my own mobile massage business, where I set up a mini-spa experience in people’s homes. It’s just me and my van! So I understand clients and I sort of understand community, but who are my colleagues? I don’t think I have any!
Wow, thanks, BB! First of all, kudos on picking up on that subtlety; yes, I really do consider clients, colleagues, community to be equally important parts of a big cosmic, interconnected whole. Second – you didn’t mention where you are, and your mini-spa-experience sounds delightful. Yes, please!
Onto your question – yes, you DO have colleagues! To me, a colleague is anyone whose livelihood/work-life is impacted by your relationship; anyone who relies on you to show up professionally.
- Other professionals in related fields to whom you refer clients. Think: acupuncturists, nutritionists, even hair-dressers.
- The publisher of a local magazine or paper in which you advertise.
- The writer to whose blog you regularly contribute.
- The vendors of the specialty products you use in your business. Think: massage oils, aromatherapy candles, your portable massage table and other equipment.
- The mechanic who takes great care of that van you’re putting so many miles on!
With those last two, you might think – but, I’m THEIR customer; we’re not colleagues. Well, you’re right about the first part – you are their customer. But what if you shift your perspective… Think about the times when you have asked or they’ve offered their opinions on how you might benefit from: a new product, a new method, a new approach…laying off that pedal, lead-foot. One professional to another, working together for mutual success.
From etymonline (I’m a word nerd and this is a new favorite find): From com- ”with” + leg, stem of legare “to choose.” So, “one chosen to work with another.”
So, who are your colleagues, BB? And readers – whom have you “chosen to work with?” Let me know here in the comments or jump in on Facebook!
Like This? Want More?
Get your wisdom delivered weekly(ish), straight to your inbox!
Plus, I'll keep you in the loop about classes & other goodies I'm creating to help you get your vision out of your head and into the world.